Electrical issues are no joke, serious injuries or death can occur if handled improperly. The safety of your family and home are at the top of your priority list and you may not be aware of the electrical safety mistakes you’re making every day.
With the goal of keeping your loved ones as safe as possible. Here is a list of important electrical information, every homeowner should know.
1. Don’t Cover Power Cords
Power cords can be real eyesores and tripping hazards. Like a lot of people, you might place furniture on top of your cords or run your cords under a rug to hide them. This is a big fire hazard! The visual appeal is not worth the risk.
2. Blown Fuses and Tripped Breakers, Shouldn’t Be Ignored
Whether you have an older home with a fuse box or a newer home with circuit breakers, if they are consistently malfunctioning, it’s a sign of a much bigger problem. Fuses and breakers are sized to protect and handle the wiring of your home. So there is no reason you should be tripping breakers or blowing fuses. If you’re having this issue, it’s time to call a Licensed Electrician to assess your situation.
3. Frayed Wires Can Cause More Issues Than You Think
You may think that some minor fraying or damage to power cords or wiring is no big deal. Well, think again! Not only are fraying wires a fire hazard, but they also pose a huge safety risk. Small children and pets like to explore and if they get a hold of a frayed cord, they risk being shocked, electrical burns or worse. If you have concerns about faulty wiring a Licensed Electrician can replace any damage and dangerous wires.
4. Being Grounded is A Good Thing
You want to be sure that all of your circuits are grounded properly. Improperly grounded circuits put you and your family at risk for being shocked. Additionally, any outlet or circuit in your bathroom, kitchen, basement, laundry room or other damp locations, need to be ground fault type. If they’re not or you’re not sure, you need to have an Electrician inspect your grounding as soon as possible.
5. Know the Warning Signs of Electrical Fires
Electrical fires are extremely dangerous and can slowly burn in the wiring of your walls for days before you notice. Be on the lookout for these signs that might indicate the beginning stages of an electrical fire. Flickering or dimming lights, sizzling sounds or a burning odor you can’t locate the source of if you notice any of these have someone come inspect your wiring intimidatingly.
Bonus Tip: Never, ever use water to put out an electrical fire! Call the fire department right away!
6. Extension Cords Aren’t Permanent Solutions
Most extension cords aren’t designed for ongoing use and should be unplugged when you’re not using them. And they’re not meant to support large appliances; dishwashers, washing machines, dryers, refrigerators, furnaces, air conditioners, etc. should never use an extension cord.
7. Generators Are More Complicated Than You Might Think
You shouldn’t just plug a generator into your electrical system. Often times this can cause damage to your appliances and create a fire risk. If you wish to have a generator, make sure that you have an Electrician installs it for you.
- You can learn more valuable electrical safety tips by visiting trusttiger.com
- Electrical issues are always a concern for homeowners and the best way to prevent these issues is to have your electrical work receive an annual system check up by a Certified Electrician.
If you have any plumbing, heating, cooling or electrical needs, simply call us at: